Positive reinforcement is the best way to motivate children to engage in good behaviour. Those who already use the General store They know, because they almost no longer resort to punishments. That said, using less punishments does not mean giving no more consequences.
What is the difference between punishment and consequences?Generally, the punishments (deprived a child of exit, spending time in his room, depriving him of video games, confiscating his bicycle, etc.) Are not related to inappropriate behaviour. It works a while, but (by experience!) you notice that, over time, children become impervious to them! In other words, comes a time when they don't care! Nor do the punishments allow the child to improve and send a funny message at the same time: "You did something that took me away so I would like you back!" The consequence is the logical sequence of inappropriate behaviour. You don't put your mittens, you'll be cold in your hands. You don't pay attention to your bike, it will end up breaking up and you will have to deprive you of it. I can use the punishments (like everyone else!), but these come when the logical consequences are no longer effective, or the inappropriate behaviour is very serious. Then there is a need for a big deal to make it clear that it is totally unacceptable.
What consequences apply?Not always easy to apply a logical consequence in the fire of the action. Sometimes you have to think and when you're angry, it's not easy. I suggest you make a small list of behaviors that you would like to correct in your children and reflect on what logical consequence it might follow. Are you out of ideas? Here's what to inspire you!
10 ideas for logical consequences
- It disturbs at the table and does not follow the rules?
- He broke an object because he was taking inappropriate behaviour?
- It has exceeded the time allowed to listen to TV or the computer despite your requests?
- He did not do the requested tasks throughout the week?
- He voluntarily excludes a brother or sister from a game?
- He's having fun screaming his little sister?
- He leaves all his toys in plan to start a new activity?
- It makes you lose time by whalebone during the homework period and lessons?
- He was bad or rude to someone else?
- They take time to fall asleep, play and jasent for a long time in spite of your warnings?